Monday 28 November 2011

Don't make stuff up (part 2)

Back in this post I stated that I didn't like a reflection supposedly by Judas after his death, and in the presence of Jesus.  There was something about it I didn't like.  Hated it in fact. I Hated it so much that I had to buy the book to find out exactly why I hated it. 

The book in question is "Milestones" by Hilary Faith Jones, and the story is entitled "After".  It's written from the perspective of Judas, and explores his realisation that he's done something very bad, and is completely alone.  Abandoned and cut off from God.  As alone as anyone can possibly be - he betrayed God's son, so who can save him?

The story is well written, very reflective, and fitted in well with the service the other week.  But there was something made me feel very uncomfortable.  I'm not that keen on stuff being made up.  There's enough good tales in the Bible without us muddying the waters by trying to put words into the mouths of the main characters.

Last night I was at Hillside and also at Friarsgate at their advent services.  At Hillside, there was a couple of dialogues and reflections  that fitted in well with the service.  They were clearly made up, the Nazareth village gossips discussing Mary, for example, but they felt a bit more comfortable in the service.  It was at this point I realised what i didn't like about the Judas reading.  It was too real.


There is a theory in the field of robotics and animation called "Uncanny Valley" which holds that when human replicas look and act almost, but not perfectly, like actual human beings, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers.  And I think this describes my feelings towards"After."  It's too real, and that's what makes it uncomfortable.  We don't know what happened to Judas, or why he did what he did, but the characters in "After" are depicted in such a real way that their actions seem unnatural and uncomfortable, and revulsion was exactly what I felt.

So in a strange sort of doublethink, I actually like the book, and I like it for it's writing, but I can't stand the uncomfortable reality.

But isn't this all about facing some uncomfortable realities.

No comments:

Post a Comment