Sunday 6 November 2011

Annoyed.

There are certain things I'm supposed to do.  Meeting B should follow shortly after meeting A, and at meeting B we decide when meeting C should take place.  This should be 3 weeks before meeting D.  The date of meeting D will be decided at meeting A.  Except in my case, meeting A hasn't taken place.  Meeting B has taken place, and a rough time for meeting C has been set, to allow time for meeting D to take place some time after.  I had to make apologies at meeting B for the fact that meeting A hadn't taken place, and that I would be in contact to confirm the date of meetings C and D just as soon as I know when that is.

Now today I was told that person X, without whom meetings A and D can't take place, hasn't yet been appointed by presbytery.  And if things go to plan, they won't be appointed until at least the 22nd.  22nd November is a Tuesday, but looking ahead at  my diary, the rest of that week is starting to fill up, so it will be the following week before anything can happen.  To her credit, Kathryn said she would try to move things along.  The point is that she shouldn't have to.  X is supposed to be someone that I can turn to for advice, but it is looking like I will be a fair way into the process before I know who they are.

At meeting A, I should make a plan, in association with X and Kathryn as to what I'm to get up to over the six months.  As it is, X is going to be presented with a list of things I've done, and some things I've got planned, in order that they can rubber stamp it. 

It's frustrating, and starts you thinking that if the process of becoming involved in ministry is so apparently without order, do I really want to be involved?  Is this some sort of test to see if you really are committed? 

1 comment:

  1. hmmmm, perhaps it's useful training along the lines of this kind of scenario:

    right, will be planning worship on Tuesd...
    *phone rings*
    'ah, hello, uh huh, okay of course, thanks'...
    right, I'll be doing a funeral visit on Tuesday morning then planning wor...

    *phone call*
    'fabric committee meeting - you want that on Tuesday evening? okay, yup, uh huh, see you 7.30'
    ....
    Okay, where was I?
    So, I'll slot planning worship in for Wednesday and then ...
    *emails*
    "Just found out Mrs W [long-standing member of congregation] has her op. on Thursday, could you visit her in the hospital on Wed afternoon, she would really like to see you"
    ...
    So, hospital is an hour away, so that kind of knocks out Wed afternoon. Right, I'll organise worship on Thursday, get some other pastoral visits done on Wed and also organise the session meeting agenda for the following week... oh, and get the funeral service done for the funeral on Friday afternoon.

    *phone rings, it's 121*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!
    'You want me to write what, and why... and they want it by the end of the week? How long has this been in the pipeline? Two months?! And you're telling me now.'
    ...
    *go make cup of tea, swear quite loudly, wonder if running away and joining the circus might be a simpler option*

    :D

    ReplyDelete