Sunday 28 April 2013

Fifty Acts 36. It's Like The Burlesque Show...

I'll explain the title later...

Today I revisited a church I visited at the start of this project.  To gain an extra perspective on things, I took along select members of the Gerbil Appreciation Society.  My Mum, Mum's friend, my Mother in Law, and my Godmother.

We all agreed that the guest preacher was outstanding.  Clear, with a no nonsense preaching style who was clearly capable of making even the most assured Christian re-examine their chances of salvation and to make them turn from their wicked ways.

And while the welcome on the door was friendly, there was no clear start to the service.  Atr the front of the church, between the pews and the pulpit, the raised floor was fully occupied by two guitarists and three singers, with the communion table shoved off into a corner.  It felt more like a concert than an act of worship.  Now I've seen many praise bands on this trip, and they have mainly been off to one side, or felt part of the worship.  This just felt disjointed.  After each couple of songs, the guitarist felt he needed to tell us what we should be thinking about.  Then after the sermon, he took it upon himself to explain exactly what we should now be thinking after listening to the preacher's message.  Really?  I'll decide what I want to think, thanks very much.

As the Gerbil Appreciation Society put it.  "it was like that burlesque show I went to see.  I've seen it once, and that was enough."

I never thought the comparison could be made between worship and a burlesque show.  I'm glad everyone this morning remained fully clad...

Next week I'm heading north.

No comments:

Post a Comment