Sunday 14 April 2013

Fifty Acts 34. Opening Up

This was the second of my two stints at Fieldside and Lane End.

Today just seemed to flow, everything felt right, and I felt that God really had a role for me this morning.  Yes, the rain and wind mad the ride on the bike unpleasant, but after I had got into Fieldside, something just lifted.  If there's one thing I need to do, it's to remember to remove the chair from the pulpit in Fieldside.  The lectern sits quite low, and the height adjuster seems to have went astray.  So you are forced to look down on your notes.  By removing the chair I'd be able to stand back and feel less like I'm looking down.

But it was after Lane End that something odd happened.  As I met people after the service, one person asked if he could have a quiet word.   I invited him to stay for a brew and we got talking.  He was aware that I wasn't the real minister, and we agreed that the real minister would be better placed to help him out.  The actual content of the conversation is one of those pastoral things, so it's not getting written down, but it was a privilege that he trusted me with his story. 

So while I'd like to be able to help more, with his consent, I've put him in contact with the people best placed to give him the advice he needs.  The important part of today was not me talking at 200+ folk, but in listening to 1 person.  I pray he finds the answer he needs.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it brilliant when you feel God is affirming that you're getting it right and you're in His will! And yes it is aprivilege to be trusted by people. Re lectern problem my supervisor is 6 foot three I'm 4 11 so we have ups and downs throughout the service and my midgets box moving about like a draught on a board!

    ReplyDelete