Sunday 7 April 2013

Fifty Acts 33. In Which a Gerbil Becomes an International Broadcaster

I've known what I was going to say this week for a while now.  I knew that when this particular set of readings came round, exactly what I'd talk about.  So that made it all the harder to write the sermon.

The problem was, I just couldn't find a way to say exactly what I wanted to say.  Coupled with the fact that I can't write anything at all when faced with a blank page.  So this was a slow sermon to write.  Once I had written something on the page, the words started to flow, but until I've written something then nothing will be written.  This usually means that the first paragraph to be written is a stream of consciousness that rarely, if ever reaches the final cut. 

The lesson for next week is to drink more.  I probably gave it a bit much when doing the 9.30 at Fieldside, so I was a little dry at Lane End, leading to a pause for a coughing fit mid way through the sermon. 

So the question is, would I have changed anything if I knew I was being broadcast?  I received an email saying the local hospital radio broadcasts the recording of the Lane End service in the evening.  So it was really odd going to their streaming service and hearing myself.  I'm a well known figure in British broadcasting circles, having once appeared in the crowd for Songs of Praise, but this was the first time the international audience has had the chance to dump me and tune to something more interesting.  And I've often been told I have a face for radio.

I'm sorry, but just like Ringo Star, I won't be answering any fan mail.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment