Friday 3 May 2013

Essays and Original Thought

Last essay of the year is in progress.  The question is about Paul's theology of the cross and resurrection.  So there's plenty of genuine theologians have thought about this before me, so it's unlikely I'm going to say anything new.  And even if I did, I'm not going to be able to give a cite for my outstanding bit of theological creativity.

This year I studied Mark's gospel, Sacramental Theology, Exodus and New Testament Theology.  When I was enquiring, I did the early Church, more to prove to myself that I had it in me to do a bit of study.  Seeing the learning alongside the placement felt good, and the two seemed to compliment each other.  This year has been a bit too accademic, with not much practical training.  So in that, the study has felt like a bit of a slog, a bit of an imposition without any benefit.  I've nothing against my tutors and the university, and i have learned a lot, but I've been missing the placement side of things.  The few weekends pulpit supply I've done have served to re-focus me and remind me why I'm doing this.  And it's been the pastoral, not the preaching that has done that.

So I'm hoping that I'm going to be a bit more energised in my studies from September when I get to placement.

Now, to find an original thought about Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment