Monday 17 October 2011

Productive, part one.

A busy weekend.  Loads going on.

Hillside Kirk had its prayer breakfast, at the unholy hour of 9am on Saturday.  Now despite us all sitting in the same hall that us used for the serving of tea and coffee on a Sunday, it was more relaxed.  I took a seat off in the corner so I could work out the groups and social norms at this occasion, and it was clear that some people took seats closer to the serving hatch than others.  On my side of the room, most people had something to eat before they came out, so perhaps the serving hatch group did not have this foresight. 

I was glad to have a seat next to Beverley.  Beverley welcomes everyone on a Sunday, and always looks out for the older folks, despite her being a few years past 21 herself.   Every kirk needs a Beverley, and I was glad to have a few moments of pleasant blether.  I'd also managed to have a blether with someone who told me about the bike he ownedjust after the war.  Bikers sort of gather together.

So after an exceptional breakfast, we had a session of prayers, minister led, but with spontaneous input from others present.  It was nice just to have a period of reflective calm, as it's something we just don't do that often. 

I've not had any involvement in many acts of worship away from the church setting.  In this group, the prayers felt a part of the morning, not just something tacked on after a bacon roll.  I'm aware that this will not work everywhere, but it was obviously popular at Hillside.

No comments:

Post a Comment