Monday 29 October 2012

Fifty Acts 7. An Episcopal Adventure.



I had planned on going to the Catholic Church yesterday.  From the City Centre, I started walking towards the Catholics, when a little voice said “go to the Episcopal service.”  Ignoring it, it came back again.  “Episcopal.”  The more I thought about going towards the Catholic church, the more I’m being told that Episcopal is where I need to be.  I’m not going to have to go out of my way to get there, as I’m going to walk past the Episcopals, but my plan for this Sunday was Catholic, and that was where I was headed.  The voice felt about as present as the voice that got me into this whole ministry thing in the first place.  So at the pedestrian crossing, I give in and cross the road, agreeing that I will go in, but only if the service is at 11am.  I am not walking in late.

So a few minutes later and I’m inside my first Scottish Episcopal service.  This really is a new experience for me.  I’ve done a couple of Church of England services, so I’m aware that the three books in front of me are going to come into use soon enough, guided by the order of service.  I decide to keep an eye on the person who is sitting in front of me and I’ll stand when they stand, sit when they sit, and otherwise pay attention.  Inevitably I get lost, and I’m looking up the wrong book at the wrong time.  I’m not organised enough for an Episcopal service.  Anything could happen if I tried to lead one.

The service of Sung Eucharist begins, and the priest, server and choir proceeds in.  There’s plenty of reverence for the communion elements, and as far as I’m lead to believe, to Episcopaleans, that really is the body and blood of Christ up there.  It’s while I’m sitting there that I realise I’ve not really given all this a lot of thought, despite studying sacramental theology.  And I’m probably not all that Reformed™ because I’m not all that sure what I’m supposed to be reformed from.  So as the service progresses, I came to realise that, perhaps that really is Christ up there.  As Christ can be in all things, then if we truly believe he’s there, then maybe he is. 

The order of service states that Eucharist is open to all in their tradition, but I’m not that keen on going up to receive.  Partly because I’m not wanting to get something wrong and upset the spiritual calm of my fellow worshipers, but partly because I’m not entirely convinced that I’m happy about receiving lumps of Jesus.  I don’t feel spiritually clean, so I adopt a middle ages position and receive ocular communion – I’ve seen, I’ve been present and I’m saved. 

Unfortunately, in a small congregation, it’s hard to be unobserved.  When I was chatting with the priest afterwards, a very pleasant chap who is retired and was filling in due to a vacancy, he did mention that it’s open to all and I was welcome. I told him of my concern for my fellow worshipers, but he did say they wouldn’t mind.  Perhaps next time.  We discussed the presence of Christ in the elements, and he told me of a quote from Queen Elizabeth the First of England:

Christ was the word that spake it.
He took the bread and break it.
And what his words did make it
That I believe and take it.

In the service, there was a reading from Jeremiah and a reading from the Gospel, yet the priest said that he wasn’t going to base his sermon on those readings, but from a different part of Jeremiah.  (I should have asked if he was obliged to have the original readings and wasn’t allowed to deviate.)  The reading he chose was  around Jeremiah 37:17 where Zedekiah asks “Is there any word from the Lord?”

Well as I’m sitting there, I’m thinking to myself, I don’t know about you Jeremiah, but the words of the day seems to be “Try Episcopal”

Next week may be Catholic, but I’m starting to think I’m getting sent places for a reason.

5 comments:

  1. At my placement where I'm supposed to be specifically observing taking part as much as is allowed, it was communion yesterday. My supervising minister told me to get in the moment and just observe, which I did and I did get right back there into the upper room that is until two of the officiating elders sitting on the chancel beside me began a loud conversation while the bread was being distributed, this went on through the whole communion no regard for dellow worshippers, perhaps I should "try Episcopal!" . It'll be interesting when I have my feedback next week. Do I keep my head down and say nothing or bring up the fact that the Elders were totally distracting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd go for the latter. Your supevior needs to know you are noticing these sort of things and it'll be useful for you to learn their opinion and how they deal with it (if they do. After all, one of these days, you'll be the 'boss' so to speak, so you need to be concidering how you'd get the revencial vibe without it being so stuffy everyone's a little too uptight.

      Delete
  2. You have been asked to be an observer, so I think it's an appropriate time to report back on your observations. Do you suppose your minister put you in that position in order to observe the actions of the elders? There is little escapes the notice of the pulpit. Look at it from the perspectiove of:

    How did it make you feel?

    How do you think the congregation feels?

    How do you think the elders feel? What is the significance of communion for them?

    How do you think you could move on from here and improve things for all?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm, I was doing my groovay thang at the sound and visual desk yesterday. It's at the side to the left of the sanctuary space. The bread and wine was sent out into the congregation... but alas, not to me as I wasn't in the sight line. Our elders were focused on the task straight ahead. What amused me was that we'd just had a sermon on trying not to overlook things via the Blind Bartimeaus reading... irony.
    After the service, I wandered into the kitchen and noted to the elder clearing up that I would just take bread and wine there, as I'd missed out during the service. He was okay with it, but did insist on chatting to me as I took the elements... until I did say 'um, I'm having communion here...' The light dawned and he left me be for a couple of moments! Ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't thought of actually taking the observation comment literally will be jotting down thoughts now. We were on the lectionariy too. Bartimeus and being blind to what's going on around, the irony passed me by ... Till now hmm.

    ReplyDelete