Sunday 23 September 2012

Theological humour

I'm on a mission.  I'm trying to fit in as many places and styles of worship over the coming year.  I may be visiting your church soon, or maybe I have been.  The body count so far is 3.Let's see if I can hit 50.

In todays sermon, the preacher used a variant of this joke to reflect Christ's mocking and resurection.

"Joe the Trucker was eating in a truck stop when three rough-looking bikers walked in. 

As they passed Joe, the first biker pushed his cigarette into the old man's pie, then laughed and took a seat at the counter. The second biker picked up Joe's milk and spit into it. The third biker turned over Joe's plate before joining the others at the counter.

Without saying a word to the laughing bikers, Joe put his money down, got up, and left the diner. One of the bikers said to the waitress, "Not much of a man, was he?"

The waitress replied, Not much of a truck driver either. He just backed his big rig over three motorcycles!"

 So I'm in my usual (for the moment) church position, in calm repose towards the rear of the premises.  The preacher started out by going large with the rough looking greasy biker part.  I am wearing my Sunday best, heavily armoured clothing and a crash helmet under my seat, with my chariot, six cylinders worth of finest Japanese aluminium slung between two Dunlops, slowly cooling in the car park. This juxtaposition is not lost on the lady sitting next to me who gave a knowing smile.  You meet the best people in the back row of a church.

So I've got a bit of a scriptural problem with Joe and the bikers.  If Joe is meant to be Jesus, then I''m OK with the comparison of suffering torment at the hands of your accusers.  But the preacher took the example a bit far by saying that Jesus had crushed Satan through his suffering, just like Joe crushed the bikes.

The thing is, as far as I see things, through his suffering, Jesus only saved us from Satan, he didn't crush him down.  He's still out there.  And Jesus didn't come back and take petty revenge on his tormentors.

When I left the church, and shook the preacher's hand, he said he hoped I wasn't offended.  No offence taken said I...

But I did drive my bike over his car...

No comments:

Post a Comment