Sunday 11 September 2011

Day One

Day one, and no, I'm not starting at "in the beginning..." again.  Today was my first day at my placement church for the Extended Enquiry.  Mrs Gerbil, currently in a state of ecclesiastical limbo, came with me to Hillside Kirk


We've got standards when it comes to church.  There must be a welcome at the door - a welcome, not just a purple book thrust at you.  And there should be a cup of tea afterwards.  Tea, a full cup of dark brown hot liquid, not the third full cup of lukewarm wee that the CofS seems to serve.  Please folks, remember that the tea leaf was lovingly hand picked in some far flung corner of the empire, and carefully shipped here for your delight.  At least make that tea leaf feel like it's had a worthy death. Digressing here.  Fortunately they ticked both boxes. People were genuinely welcoming, not just at the door, but throughout.  And the tea was just right. 

I wasn't formally introduced to the congregation.  It was nice just to be able to sit back and enjoy the service without a lot of fuss being made.  



There's a few things I have noted to discuss with my supervisor when we meet properly this week. 

I'll be at Hillside Kirk for a few months, so I'm looking forward to becoming part of their community, whatever God has got planned for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment