Monday 9 December 2013

Hard Questions

"Why do we drink Jesus' blood?"

If you want to find a whole load of awkward questions, Primary Four is the place to find them. This was the first time I had sat in a primary four class, since primary four.  Pamela, the Methodist Deacon invited me to take part in her morning assembly, with a couple of classes afterwards.  There was a small issue when we discovered that neither the two of us had a lighter for the Advent candle.  Back in my day, you could always rely on at least one of the pupils having a lighter, but these modern young 'uns seem to have kicked the weed habit.

The two classes were interesting, and while I felt I was basking in the glory of Pamela and Stephen, the children seemed willing to open up to me.  They had seen me at the assembly the other week, so now they wave at me and say hello. 

I'm still getting used to modern school culture, as you don't put your hand up to answer a question, instead you have "answering arms"where you fold your arms, while at the same time maintaining an expression of enthusiasm.  The way they were bouncing up and down with folded arms, reminded me of a troop of Cossack dancers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment