Tuesday 24 December 2013

Christingle? I'd rather not.

I'm a little worried about the idea of a Christingle service. 

This month a food bank launched in my presbytery, the third in the area that I'm aware of.  Churches and schools around here are throwing their weight behind the project, and I'm particularly impressed with the work of one of the local high schools in their collection efforts. 

The idea of the Christingle service seems nice, but I don't like the idea of food being used in worship if it's going to waste.  i would like to think that the oranges will all be eaten afterwards.  If so, enjoy it, and read no further.

I just don't like the idea of food going to waste when there's a need for food.  That we as a church are saying we will help feed the poor, then have an example of conspicuous consumption.  There's something not quite right here.

Oh, and the orange juice makes a mess of the carpet...

No comments:

Post a Comment