Sunday 1 December 2013

Communion

I have a lovely white tablecloth.  it comes out for special occasions, and it's enormous.  It will cover our dining table completely, with a lot left over.  We have to fold it in half, and then on top of that goes plates, bowls, glasses, cutlery etc.  If anything is spilled, well we might give the cloth a soaking to prevent staining, but it's an accident, and it's a sign of a lovely meal.  While we look after the good cloth, it's there to be used.

Today I had my first communion where I was behind the table - I was never an elder, although my Presbytery says I was...  On top of the white cloth had been placed a plastic sheet, protecting the white tablecloth.  It was as Stephen read the intimations that I noticed some marks on the plastic.  There was an arrow pointing to the congregation, then some circles where the elements were to be placed.  A space had been left for the lectern, but not much.  In thinking about it, there was more space devoted to the two communion jugs, which were not used, or even filled, than for the Minister's notes. 

I mentioned to Pamela, the Methodist Deacon that I preferred communion at her church, where we could all gather round the table, and there was a bit more spontaneity, although we agreed that isn't always possible due to large congregations and building layout.  I'm just worried that there is a process that we must be seen to follow, without deviation.  So are we taking part in a process or a sacramental commemoration? 

Much to ponder...

1 comment:

  1. plastic protective sheet...arrows and circles? Blimey, never ever seen anything like that and I've now stood behind a few communion tables! And never had anything like that at St Giggles which is possibly the highest up the Presby candle you can climb...

    ReplyDelete