Friday 1 March 2013

The Creativity of Biblical Women. Part 23

I was watching the washing machine this morning, marveling at the ingenuity of the person that thought to combine electricity and water in a domestic appliance. Yes, the retired life is thrilling.

This took me back to the Exodus class last night. Exodus 19. It's the first day of the third new moon after the Israelites left Egypt. 600,000 men, not including women and children. And then Moses tells the gathered crowd to wash their clothes.

In a desert.

Now I'd like to believe the men did a bit of work here, but I can see an awful lot of domestic conversations starting with "Here's my clothes Dear. Moses said..."

Assuming one set of clothes equals one wash load, you're going to need 51 tonnes of Persil And 12 olympic swimming pools worth of water.

In a desert. A place where Persil and swimming pools are in short supply

I know two things at this stage.

1. Some of the numbers and dates quoted in Exodus may be open to historic interpretation.

2. Moses knows how to make himself popular.

Now I'm off to hang out the washing while it's a good drying day.

No comments:

Post a Comment