Sunday 3 March 2013

Fifty Acts 30. Free? All Right Now.

This morning I visited the local Free Church.  Starting off a decade ago, meeting monthly in hotels, they now meet in one of the local schools every Sunday.

The service was a mix of psalms and hymns.  The psalms were unaccompanied, lead by a singer who told us which tune we would be using.  When set against the mix of organists and bands I've heard this past few months, it made for a refreshing experience.  In a strange sort of way, it felt more pure than the couple of accompanied hymns we had later on.  This is filed away in the folder of things I'll try some day when I've really got the measure of a congregation.

The congregation was a good mix of ages.I was told that this may be partly to do with the venue, there being a connection between pupils, school and parents, so the Sunday School was strong in number.

So I think it was all right.  Had I been new to the area, based on first impressions alone, I would have been tempted to give this congregation a few more visits, with a view to joining.  It just had a good vibe to it.  Although, if you find a church that is perfect, leave or don't join.  You'll only spoil it!

This week I'm going undercover and infiltrating an organisation that I don't exactly share a viewpoint with.  If I can blog it, I will blog it.

No comments:

Post a Comment