Monday 26 March 2012

Wave your hands in the air

As part of the service on Sunday I was to do a blessing for the children.  The children's address is followed by a hymn, then a blessing.  And it seems the norm that people, when they do a blessing raise a hand in the air.

Well I'm pretty new to this whole thing, and there's still a lot I've to think about, but I'm not exactly happy with the hands in the air for a blessing.

I believe that, wherever we go, God's Spirit is all around us, supporting us and involved.  When I'm asking for a blessing for an individual, a group, or the entire congregation, raising a hand over the assembled makes it look, to me at least that the minister is not just asking for a blessing, but instead is actively channelling the Spirit through them.  I'm not altogether happy with this, as I feel that it's suggesting that I'm better than anyone else and that you're only getting blessed because the Spirit is being channelled, rather than being ever with us.

The bottom line is that I'm trying to do God's work, possibly not very well, so at this stage I'm happier looking like Columbo.  Bumbling along, but occasionally pulling out moments of genius.  I've not got a direct hotline to God, and I'm not some spiritual transponder, receiving and repeating the direct word of God.  It's just me doing the best I can.

So for the moment, the hands will stay firmly by the side.

1 comment:

  1. It's an interesting one, and an example of the schizophrenia found in a lot of CofS liturgy and practice - ministers are not 'special', but they are 'sometimes'.
    I've heard various tales of students and probationers being told that the hands stay down and we ask God's blessing on 'us'. Then when we we hit ordination, there is the expectation of us providing a blessing on 'you' (hands up/down/out as one feels moved).
    Ontologically-speaking, I believe, and would happily argue, that those who are so called are 'different' - not better or superior, but different. I believe that 'point' happens when we know we are called (although one might argue it occurs beforehand - we can be slow to recognise it). I don't think it's one of those moments that occurs when hands are laid upon us at ordination. Back to the 'not special' thing, so laying on of hands doesn't 'do' anything.
    Add yet we follow in the apostolic tradition and we acknowledge that God does work through those whom he calls - and so why should that not be as a 'channel' for God's blessing?
    Like I said, it's the schizophrenia that can be found in a lot of Reformed theology. Or maybe it's the essence of theological tension - restless theology. But that's a whole other topic.

    ReplyDelete