Tuesday 20 March 2012

Learning Before Training

I don't think I've mentioned this before...

As part of my Ordained Local Ministry enquiry process, I decided that I wanted to do some sort of distance learning module to make sure I had a head for academia.  While I have been in New College for a brew before, my strategy of learning through absorption wasn't quite working.  My theory was that if I can't do one module, then I'm going to be scunnered when it comes to doing the course I'm expected to do should I be accepted.

In January, with the assistance of an ILA Scotland grant I started on a module on the Early Church through Aberdeen University.  While it does seem a little weird engaging in a conference call, the course has been going OK so far.  Advice to students on this sort of course is to get yourself a phone that has a speakerphone.  It makes it easier to take notes, spread out books etc and they will set you back less than £20.  My formative assessments have had reasonable feedback, but I was waiting on results for my first  real assessment.

At school I scraped my way to three highers, although I did achieve an HND about 15 years ago.  On past performance, anything above half marks would have been nice.  I was surprised to get 17/20, with feedback suggesting that there were a couple of areas marked in the 18-20 bracket, and nothing lower than 15.  Not bad for an essay that referenced The Life of Brian in the opening paragraph.  Well, the question did centre on the readiness of the 1st century world for Christianity, and you have to ask yourself what have the Romans ever done for us?

So I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment