Sunday 4 March 2012

Fear of the Pulpit

Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind, the thought occasionally passes that I shouldn't be speaking from the pulpit as that's where the qualified ministry types get to stand.  I don't have my pilot licence, so they don't let me into the cockpit (which is a shame, because I'd love to take an A380 under the Forth Bridges.  Oh Go on, I'd have 80 feet to spare.) so why should I get to stand in the "Hot Seat"? 

Most churches, the better designed ones anyway, are built in such a way that the speaker can see, everyone in the church, and everyone in the church can see and hear the speaker.  As fas as I am concerned then, the pulpit is the best possible place to speak from.  So it's up there I go, happy that for once I'm doing something right, if only for Mrs H.  Mrs H asks that speakers stand in the pulpit, because those that are hard of hearing can hear them better.  And if it comes from Mrs H, it must be true.

This morning I have a bit of a problem.  I've done something stupid to my back, and the thought of ascending the stairs to the pulpit gives me the willies.  I can't get up my own stairs just now without swearing.  In about two hours time I'm doing the sermon at Hillside.  With a radio mic.

Well they might learn a few new words...

Or I'll speak from the lectern.  It's safer...

For everyone...

No comments:

Post a Comment