Monday 23 May 2011

Answering Nik's Question

The other week, Mrs Gerbil and I had the pleasure of meeting up with Nik from A Pilgrim's Process. It was a rare gathering, as blogging is often a solitary pursuit, so nobody has ever felt the need to make up a collective noun for a group of bloggers. Suggested answers on a postcard to the usual address...

(Actually, does anyone do competitions nowadays where you send the answer on a postcard? I knew all along that I would never win a competition on Saturday Morning Superstore because the postcard depicting the radioactive beach at Dalgety Bay was pretty uninspiring)

So Nik noted that if I am to follow any one of my three options, sooner or later, someone is going to ask, "are you only doing this because of what Mrs Gerbil is doing?" Well, the answer is







Yes.








Perhaps I should elaborate....











Or I could save that for another post...









Might as well do it now.








First of all, I'm in a position where I don't really know what I'm doing. But I also think I've been given an opportunity to do something useful. What that useful thing is, I don't exactly know. Something keeps drawing me back to the idea of the auxiliary ministry but I don't know what a calling feels like. What I do know is that the past few years, starting around the time of the National Gathering at Ingliston, and possibly even before that, I've felt less of an observer at worship, to wanting to be more a part of spreading God's message.

So I'd like to say that I'm genuinely being nudged into something of my own calling. I think that Mrs Gerbil's process has given me a bit of a kick up the backside, letting me explore all sorts of avenues. And whatever I do, it will be using my time and talents in a way that helps God's people, but also fits in with my promise to support Mrs G along the way.

So that's about as much of an answer as I can give at present. Mrs Gerbil has given me the opportunity. It's now up to me to do something about it.

And thanks Nik for asking the question. It's been something useful to reflect on.

3 comments:

  1. Don't blame me. It's nothing to do with me. I'm just the wife! Calling - I tend to blame God, a few members of our home church and the Archbishop of York.

    ReplyDelete
  2. there are few words to descibe a calling. If you have niggle - itch it - is all the advice I can give!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure to serve, Spot ;)

    ReplyDelete