Monday 2 May 2011

RIP Osama Bin Laden.

RIP Osama. It was nice to have known you. At least you have died innocent of the charges against you. Like him or loathe him, if truth, justice and the American Way™ is still the mantra that the USA marches under, then Osama hasn’t faced trial by a jury of his peers, so he remains innocent before the law.

What would you have done if Osama Bin Laden had walked into your church? Like Saul appearing before the early followers of the way. Just after the second hymn, a figure appears at the door and takes a seat at the back of the church. Someone who to all accounts is completely opposed to your way of life. Do you panic? Call the police?

I’d put the kettle on. Offer him a cup of tea. And then I’d like to think I’d offer him as much assistance as I can give him. Once, a long time ago I was a trade union representative. There were a number of occasions where colleagues had done something really stupid and had been caught red handed. But the disciplinary process had to be followed, and even though I knew my colleague was as guilty as sin, I was obliged to represent them. My role was to defend their rights, not their wrongs. I was to ensure fair treatment, to ensure they were handled in accordance with the company rules and within the law of the land. While it’s a long way from fiddling your time sheet to allegedly ordering terrorist acts, however everyone has basic rights, enshrined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and like it or loathe it, Osama was entitled to that representation. Sometimes, democracy sucks.

Because everyone is entitled to fair treatment before the law. The best thing I could have done for him would be to ensure he was represented fairly in front of an impartial jury of his peers. From the outset, it was clear that Osama would never face trial. A hit squad has marched all over Afghanistan and Pakistan, demanding blood. I’m sure the world will be safe tonight.

This morning, crowds gathered outside the White House. The mob, satisfied after baying for blood for so long. Hopefully those inside feel safe and secure, because give it a couple of years and the mob that’s outside will be baying for their blood. The American people have a very short term view when it comes to national policy. In the same way that the space programme was all but shut down after they beat the Russians to the moon, Americans will be asking why they are still in Afghanistan now Osama is dead.

Who is next on the hate list? Probably Iran. Iran has oil. The world won’t be safe until every oil well has a stars and stripes hanging above it.

Yeah. Right.

There’s something about the USA being self appointed global judge, jury and executioner that makes me crap myself.

RIP Osama Bin Laden. I hope you find peace.

P.S. This post will probably get me flagged up by the NSA or GCHQ as being some sort of sympathiser. Bring 'em on. I've been called worse things.

2 comments:

  1. I think you may have borrowed the thoughts on Osama coming into church from a sermon a couple of years ago. I only think so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I borrowed a thought from that sermon. I'm still claiming this as an original work! :-)

    ReplyDelete