Tuesday 12 April 2011

Option 2, Readership.

The readership is something I’ve thought about for a while now and seems quite attractive. According to the Readers Handbook, Readers exercise a ministry of word, but not sacrament. This can be pulpit supply, or where attached to a charge they have a role similar to an Auxiliary Minister.

Now I’ve been part of a worship group for quite a while now, and I’ve done parts of services at both of my home churches. While I could probably brush up on my speaking technique, I’m not afraid to address a big or small audience. So far, the Readership has seemed like the ideal role.

The Reader is not just meant as someone who fills in occasionally, but is meant as someone who is genuinely capable of preaching the word of God. This doesn’t have to be in a church, but can be in schools, hospitals or care homes for example.

And this is where I’ve got a bit of a doubt. There’s a whole load of people who can’t get to a church building for a variety of reasons. So would I be better in a role that is of word and sacrament? Would it make me more flexible to the community be able to perform the sacraments? A short communion service in the local care home, or in someone's house perhaps?So with this in mind, would one of the other ministries be more suitable?

Questions, questions. More to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment