Monday 18 April 2011

Option 3 - Auxiliary Ministry.

So this is the one that seems like a good idea. Auxiliary ministry.

For ages I had thought that the readership was ideal for me, and would fit in well with Mrs Gerbil and all that she is doing. I would be able to use my talents to help her and her charge. Recently however, there's something niggling away that says that the auxiliary ministry might be more useful. It was something I read, and I can't remember where, that said that there's plenty of people who are unable to get to a church building and recieve the sacraments. Be they in care homes, hospital or housebound, they are missing out on a part of worship that makes church special. And I know that people react differently when they speak to a minister, rather than a non ordained person. So if I must re-train for something, would being a minister be better for the community?

But here's the problem with all three options. I made a promise to support Mrs Gerbil. I'm happy to follow wherever she ends up. Even if it means going to Bermuda I'll tag along because it's all part of God's big adventure. I still don't want to do anything that will get in the way, so I've deliberately put all these options to the back burner. I've hardly given them any thought. And to make matters worse, I'm not too good at picking up on signs, so unless I get a sign on a Biblical scale, burning bushes or booming voices from on high, I'll probably be clueless forever!

But the thing is, over the past couple of months, this Auxiliary Ministry thing just keeps popping up. I haven't a clue what a "calling" resembles. Is it a gut feeling, or is it just gas?

What I do know is I have signed up for the Enquirers Conference at the end of June. Given there might or might not be changes to ministries discussed at the next General Assembly, I think this would be a good earthly starting point. As for booming voices from on high, I'm still waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment