Sunday 27 January 2013

Fifty Acts 22. Minehead North

Friday and Saturday the snow was very much in the way.  In the early hours of Sunday morning, however, the rain has washed away much of the snow, leaving piles of slush.  It was into this that I stepped out to walk to Minhead North.  Part way there, the sleet came at me horizontally, and I found myself in a bus stop outside the Baptist Church waiting for the worst to pass over.  I got enough of a reprieve to continue my journey, otherwise I would be visiting my third baptist congregation.

Minehead High Street runs uphill, with a railway bridge in the middle.  I am told that you could at one point stand at the bottom of the hill and see the top of the street under the railway bridge.  Due to mining subsidence, the ground level has dropped so much in the middle, that this is no longer possible.  The ground level must have dropped by about 3-4 metres.

While musing on this, it was amusing for me at least to have "Don't build your house on the sandy land" as the childrens hymn.  Surely round here they are aware of having stable foundations.

The Congregation is worshiping in the hall, due to extensive renovations in the sanctuary.  The hall was packed, and it appeared there was a disporportionate number of men present, because the male part of "o for a thousand tongues to sing" was especially resonant today.

The congregation were especially welcoming, and I heard some good stories of people's faith journeys.  One woman, who was particularly new to the faith found getting into the bible to be a bit difficult.  I think because she had started amongst the letters, so I suggested some parts to read, the gospels mainly, and explained which one we think was written first.  Last term studying Mark didn't go to waste.

I'm starting to draw up a mental list of places where I'd like to do a placement, and this was one I would like to consider.  It would be nice to have a placement that is in bicycle range.  My home presbytery is actually the next one east from here, and I would rather not have to trek miles to get to a church.  It can make for a long day after a day at work.  So I'll keep this in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment