Wednesday 9 January 2013

Fifty Acts 20. Choral Evensong

I have been working in Edinburgh for years, and for the majority of that time I drove past St Mary's Cathedral.  There's something odd about the way the wind blows there, because each time I drove past the door, the bike would be hit by a gust of wind, as if it was coming from their doors.  It was pretty odd, but I could predict the point on the junction that it would hit the bike and would be expecting it.

St Mary's is a spectacular building inside, Sir George Gilbert Scott at his best, and I'd like to return to spend some time taking in the atmosphere.

Well on Sunday, Mrs G and I took the bike over to Edinburgh for the 3.30 Choral Evensong. I'm starting to get the hang of Episcopal services, and I'm a bit better at keeping up, although I do make sure I've got people around me so I know when to stand or sit. 

For me, I had a strong feeling that the worship was being conducted purely for my benefit.  That everyone involved in the service was doing it for me.  I always feel part of worship, but this was something different, that they were trying to save me.  A feeling of being minstered to, rather than being ministered with.  That's not to say that I think any other worship is in any way lacking.

What am I trying to say here?  I don't know, but it's my blog and I'll ramble if I want to.

It was...  just.

I'm starting to like the Episcopal way of doing things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment