Friday 29 June 2012

Fifty-Nine Quid.

A week or so before the selection conference I recieved a letter that actually made me consider whether I wanted to continue with the Ordained Local Ministry.  I was informed that I am required to join the Protecting Vulnerable Groups Scheme for both adults and children, and I was expected to pay £59 for the privelege.

This angered me.  The OLM is a voluntary, non stipendary ministry, and I firmly believe this should be open to everyone that God calls.  But £59 is a couple of days pay after tax for someone on minimum wage, so it is a large chunk out of the domestic budget.  I have £59 spare, but not everyone is so lucky.  I was unhappy that this may exclude those who are spiritually rich but cash poor.

Because this is required for an individual's employment, the £59, according to an accountant I met at conference, is tax deductible.  So employees such as child minders and even full time ministers can reclaim the cost, but for the volunteers, we are expected to pay it.  This is not meant as a pot-shot at full time Ministers, as I have had a lot of support from many Ministers who disagree with OLM's and Readers being charged.  And it's not the Kirk that is levying this charge.  The PVG people at 121 have had long discussions with HMRC and PVG to find a way to waive the cost, but to no avail.  It is worth noting that voluntary groups, such as the Scouts are exempt from the charge.

I have exchanged a number of emails with 121 and the people, and in particular one person who we all know, have been really fantastic.  

Had I already been PVG cleared by my home congregation for both adults and children, then there would be no charge.*  If I was only on one list, then I would still have to pay the £59 to join the other list. 

I have no objections to the PVG scheme in principle, however I believe that the cost of vetting the workforce and volunteers should be paid by the state.  Especially considering how many exemptions there are from the scheme, and how, according to my source, is tax deductible.  It hardly makes sense to pay the Goverment on one hand, but then reclaim the cost on the other..  I believe having a workforce that we can be confident in is an asset to society, and the benefits will far outweigh the costs of running the PVG scheme

And if the £59 is a bit much, please have a word with 121 and I am assured they may be able to help.





*I am dropping a very big hint here for future OLM's, Readers and other workers.  Work it out.

2 comments:

  1. Eek must've been in cloud cuckoo land didn't know bout this and am assuming since I've only done child protection as a reader some years ago I'll have to do this too:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your situation may differ slightly from mine if you are already a reader. The PVG people at 121 contacted me last week and asked me which paperwork I required. I'm sure they will be in touch soon enough. Wasn't the PVG scheme mentioned in your acceptance letter?

    ReplyDelete