Friday 10 February 2012

Countdown

At the end of March I've got "The Meeting" where my future, at least as far as this part of the process goes comes to an end.  As I understand it, there's three options.

1. Sod off.
2. Sod off for a couple of years and come back.
3. Go on to conference.  And at conference, options 1 and 2 remain on the table, with option
4, Come and join us being the other option.

Now there are a couple of things I'm finding trouble with at the moment.  I've had a busy old week, placement-wise and I've seen amazing works being done by churches, involving the uneducated, the under-privileged, the unloved, the untouchable.  And at every one of these events I've taken away notes on what to do, should I find myself with time on my hands and with a few spare warm bodies to help out.  It's all exciting, and it's all a far cry from sitting in a Church on a Sunday morning.

And here's the problem.  I'll tell people about these things, and they will say "That's nice, but do you really need to be an Ordained Local Minister to do that?"  And for a lot of the time, the answer is no.  But the stuff is worth talking about.  So I tell them.  But to them it looks like I'm less interested in the ministry, and more into the practical side of things.

I'm still seeing myself as part of a local ministry.  Doing all the things you see a minister doing on a Sunday, with quite a few of the things they do the rest of the week thrown in for good measure. why should people be expected to come to our uncomfortable stone boxes on a Sunday? Pastoral care groups are excellent, but there are still people who want to speak to a minister.  I want to be that minister, but I'm lousy at expressing my call.  So people think I'm only really wanting to be the person that does unusually practical stuff in the background.

I entered this whole process pretty unsure if this was the right move.  Now I'm more confident that I am being called by God to be one of His Ordained Local Ministers, but now I'm worried that if I don't make this clear enough, the people doing the earthly selection are going to give me options 1 or 2. At the very least I want 3. 

I'm booked to do a sermon on the 4th March.  The Lectionary gives me Abraham being called as a set of readings. Somehow it seems appropriate.  I've got another service as a favour to a friend in April.  If I don't get my arse in gear, then these will be my last two services. 

3 comments:

  1. Read your blog banner ;~)
    One thing that might be helpful to think through is the issue of sacraments - the key 'distinctive' in ordained ministry compared to other 'ministries' (both formal and informal in the CofS).
    I don't want to put words in your mouth, but, for me, that became an important part of my call into ministry of word and sacrament. I hold a fairly 'high' view of the sacraments, and to be able to share that intensely spiritual experience with those whom I sought to pastor and shepherd became a defining part of my call.
    Not sure if that helps or hinders, but it may well be an 'angle' used in the assessment discussions, so best be prepared for it anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers John. I need to remember that I had plans on going down the reader route, but it was a niggling feeling that there was a need for someone to be able to take the sacraments to the people, wherever they hapened to be. And things along the way, for example meeting the chaplains that perform the sacraments in the hospitals, that helps reinforce this.

    Bottom line, don't blog-post at midnight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wot John said. Plus... perhaps a useful way of teasing stuff out might be to go down the line of:
    'what's the difference between a social/community worker and being a minister?'

    And also language - who comes up with such phrases as 'articulate your call'??
    Once I worked out that it meant tell my story, it was a whole lot easier!!

    ReplyDelete