Tuesday 28 June 2011

Enquirers Conference (Part three)

So what did I get out of it?

Well I genuinely feel I'm being called to something. I was keen on being a reader a few years ago, as I have helped lead worship, and some people actually liked my various sermons. So I went along to the Readership talk, but this time it just didn't feel quite right. The speaker was a great guy, and really was enthused with his role as a reader, but something wasn't there for me.

The two deacons that were speaking sounded like they have the most rewarding lives. They were doing God's work in their communities and were doing it amazingly well. They came from the more troubled areas in the West, and demonstrated that God's love can cement a fractured community back together. But while I have the utmost respect for them, something wasn't right for me.

It was the Ordained Local ministry that seemed to fit me best. I've had a sort of feeling that the Auxiliary ministry (now OLM) was where God was nudging me, and the more I heard abut it, the more "right" it felt. I need to go away and think seriously about whether this is really what God is wanting for me.

I had went to this conference knowing that whatever I’m being called to do, I can’t do anything that will get in the way of Mrs Gerbil. One of the first people I encountered had a husband who will be starting university this year (probably encountering Mrs G at some point.) , and was exploring her own call. We agreed that the traditional role of ministerial spouse, doting housewife, cakemaker and Guild member wasn’t for either of us. Then there was the husband and wife who are ministers in adjoining parishes. Then another minister whose husband plays a regular part in worship, and finally, the friend of mine, a deacon whose wife went to conference with Mrs G. All of these couples work well together, so I’m a bit happier about doing my thing. Whatever that is.

There was one conference delegate who I had a private discussion with late on the second day, and during our discussion we considered a few options. It would have been nice if we had longer to talk. (For obvious reasons I can’t reveal the discussion.) Sometimes I feel awkward giving advice , as I can’t believe anyone would take me seriously. If you ever read this, I hope that things work out for you and you continue to explore your call, wherever you end up.

More follows...

1 comment:

  1. "We agreed that the traditional role of ministerial spouse, doting housewife, cakemaker and Guild member wasn’t for either of us."

    I could just see you as a doting housewife, in a pink flowery pinny!!!

    ReplyDelete