Sunday 6 April 2014

Fifty Acts Continued. Fifty-one, Another Corner of Airside

For a town of 15,000, Airside parish is under-represented in terms of religion.  Mrs Gerbil's summer placement had six other places of worship serving a town of 1,400, yet Airside has just two.

So this morning I went to the Gospel Church at the other end of town.  It meets in the building that the parish church vacated in the seventies, and while I have been before, that was twenty years and another pastor ago. 

There was a lot this morning that I found refreshing.  Just being able to sit back and enjoy worship, and not have to think about making my own contribution was great.  This was something that the pastor and I agreed upon, that it is a luxury to be able to sit back and listen.  And it was nice not to turn up at a church where the first thing I am asked is "are you saved?"  This time the question was "can I get you a bible?"  And as communion was shared, one of the poeple at the door let me know that we take the bread but save it and eat together.  It's refreshing that churches think to let people know about the small details that have an impact on how we share worship together.

This was a small congregation (although it is the local school holidays and many people were missing) but there was a genuine welcome and a community feeling.  I may even make a return visit, if the chance arises.

So for the moment, the fifty acts have resumed.  How long it takes me to do the second fifty remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment