Thursday 27 March 2014

Easter Code

In my post the other week I mentioned my call for gazebos which had proven unsuccessful.

Last night I went to the church to set up for the Easter Code, and there was just Stephen and myself.  The only other person to turn up, the local youth worker,  coached football elsewhere so couldn't turn up until later.  So we attempted to set the hall for the Easter Code, with only 1.5 gazebos - one was missing the connectors although it got repurposed into a tomb. 

By the time 9pm cam round, the hall was feeling a little rough and ready.  although when the youth worker turned up, he had in his car the set from another Easter Code production so that was swiftly put to use.  That said, by 10pm, I still had a bad feeling about how the day was going to go.

This morning, after thirty minutes of work, the hall was completely into shape. We had all the volunteers we needed, and all the equipment.

P6 and P7 of the local school arrived, and we had a great time.  OK, we slipped our schedule a little bit, but the whole thing worked.  The pupils loved it, and this is a group that most of the staff know well, and they are genuinely willing to give criticism.

It was a load of work, but I got many thanks a few high fives on the way out from the pupils.

Other things I learned.

in terms of going with the crowd, 50% of pupils would turn up and rob PC world of Xboxes if they happened to leave the door open.  That figure goes up to 75% if they can grab a PS4 when they are in.

One pupil shoplifted a remote control.

Another pupil's brother shoplifted a TV, but it was OK because he gave it away afterwards.

Now I am absolutely knackered.  Youth work is not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment