Wednesday 13 November 2013

A Month or So in

So what have I been up to?

Lowry (North) like many of the churches round here on the Atlantic coast has a whole lot going on through the week.  And just like every other church, for every organisation there is usually a meeting to go with them!

After my first funeral the other week, it was followed up by another, although my second wasn't part of placement, and it was a pretty rough experience for all concerned.   I'd like to be done with funerals for this year.

I have had the good things as well.  Remembrance service in the care home was nice, as we were profusely thanked by many of the residents for coming along.  One lady was determined to stand for the National Anthem.  It may have taken her a little time to get up, but there was no way she was sitting for the Queen.

I made a pastoral visit to a lady who got her driving license thanks to WWII and hasn't stopped driving since.  It was really nice to spend time just blethering about her family and life in general, and she makes an exceedingly good cup of tea.  She did admit that she hadn't been baking, and her cakes may also have been "Exceedingly Good"  as well... 

The church has a number of staff, full time and volunteers, so I have spent time getting to know some of them, and hearing what it's like to work for the church in a non-ministerial role.  There is a lot going on based from the church office so it was interesting to hear how the volunteers and the paid staf work together.

All in, it's an interesting placement, and I'm being kept busy.  My only concern is that the OLM handbook states that I am to spend three hours plus a Sunday.  While I am trying to do perhaps more than I should, I still think it would be hard to fit everything into three hours a week. 

***********************************************

In other news, I am sitting writing this in a cafe.  One of the staff has just had a rant about why it should be against the law to sell things cheaper on the internet. The internet should be more expensive to force people to go to the shops.  I don't think she has embraced the information age.  In fact, I think she is still upset that Mr Ford's motor car has forced the horses from the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment