Monday 8 July 2013

Angry Gerbil, part two. (Where spot responds to solar energy pests)

In this post I complained about a call centre that tried to flog me solar panels at 11:40pm.  Twenty minutes to midnight is not the time to call me unless you have seen the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse thundering up Sauchiehall Street.  And even then, it's probably not the end of the world.

So, ever since then, every time I get one of these robo calls, and I'm given the option to press one for a callback about insulation, or two to be taken off their phone list, I've pressed one.  Trust me, two doesn't work.  It got to the point that I was receiving two or more of these calls a day, despite being on telephone preference. Finally a human contacted me.

Caller "I believe you pressed one to be called by me about solar panels?"

Spot "Yes, I did."

C: "We at Ripp off and Screwem Energy... [long sales pitch about their company removed here] Are you thinking about fitting solar panels?

S: "No."

C: (a confused pause)"...so why did you ask for a call back?"

S: "I have asked your company to stop calling me.  I've pressed button two to be taken off your call list, and yet you still call me.  So I decided that, I have given you a fair chance, so now, every time you call me, I'm going to waste your time."

C: (now flustered and getting angry) "...well I've got a whole call centre here, so let's see how much of your time I can waste!"

S: "Bring it on."



Since then, probably about a month ago, all the calls have stopped, and the threat to turn a whole call centre against me has came to nothing.  So has the call centre taken the hint, or has the fact that I have elected to speak to a sales rep taken me off their call system?

I've nothing against call centre staff, besides the ones that threaten me.  Everyone has the right to earn a living.  What i do object to is the practices of these call centres.  I have registered with the Telephone Preference Service, so  have done them a favour.  I have stated that I'm not interested in telemarketing, so I'm not going to buy anything as a result of a cold call.  They should know to leave me off their calling list.  By calling me, I know they are not a reputable company, so I am even less inclined to do business with them.

Troubled by unpleasant voices in the night.  Waste their time.  They will go away eventually.


No comments:

Post a Comment