Tuesday 5 February 2013

Fifty Acts 24. An Evangelical Church (Part Two)

So having enjoyed the evolution sermon this morning, I decided I would like to attend a "normal" service at the Evangelical Church, and as luck would have it, they were having one the same evening.  I was surprised that Mrs G agreed with my invitation to come along, as I wasn't sure it was her thing. 

So after a pleasant afternoon that involved ice cream under the Forth Bridge (Try ice cream outdoors in a Scottish winter.  Invigorating) I returned to E.C accompanied by Mrs G.  After renewing some acquaintances from earlier in the day, worship started.  It was led by one of the congregation members, accompanied by a small praise band.  Unusually for a praise band, they only played pairs of tunes, rather than the customary three, and they were quite inconspicuous.  After a few hymns and prayers, there was an act of communion.  Rather than the worship leader blessing the bread, the congregation were asked if someone would bless the bread.  After a short pause, someone prayed for a blessing on the bread before it was distributed.  Then a slightly longer pause before someone blessed the wine.

The sermon followed, delivered by someone other than the worship leader, and while I think the content could have been abbreviated, his message of congregations perhaps losing their enthusiasm and focus after a couple of generations is one to remember.  Independent congregations (Not just independent IMHO) may start off with vim and vigour, but after a while they get a little too comfortable.  we all need to reinvigorate, and renew our enthusiasm.

What followed was a period of open worship.  A period of reflective silence, punctuated by a few people from the congregation saying prayers.  I wasn't sure how this would go, because it took 75 seconds before anyone said anything. it sounded like one person had prepared something, as it flowed and rhymed too neatly, however it didn't feel out of place.


So one congregation, two different services. 

(And I hope Mrs G will be along with her take in the comments section.)

1 comment:

  1. Okay, seeing as you want me to contribute ;-)

    The welcome was great - shaking of hands and (for you) a sincere "nice to see you again". For me, it was good to catch up with a couple of people I haven't seen for a couple of years.

    The worship was well lead and came together well. Like you, I did wonder how long it would take for people to bless the communion elements or enter into 'free worship', but it seemed that this is something the congregation were more than happy with.

    The band lead well (no - 'it's all about me' there). Though at the front, they did not dominate and were very much pointing to God. (And they have a drum kit - why do so many praise bands lack this?).

    Yes, the sermon did go on a bit long, but was well presented and constructed. From the reaction of the congregation, that was the normal expectation for sermon length. So, though it wasn't for me, they appreciate it and that's the important thing.

    My only resl criticism is all the hymns were in the 'adoration/confession' genre. There was no approach, thanksgivng or sending hymn. But I think I am especially sensitive to that, as that's the pattern at Caledonia Kirk and it gets a bit waring week in week out

    Oh, pain au chocolat wth tea and coffee after the service - what's not to like!

    ReplyDelete