Sunday 23 December 2012

Fifty Acts 18. The Unstoppable Congregation

Sometimes things go wrong for a congregation.  But the congregation I visited today has a history that involves buildings that have suffered from massive repair bills, flooding and fire.  No plague or pestilence, fortunately.  Despite the occasional misfortune, they are a friendly bunch and their congregation has quite literally, risen from the ashes.

My initial plan for the day follows in Fifty Acts 19, but I took the opportunity of a trip west to visit with a friend who is on placement at Langside.  We were both at the same enquirers conference, and one of these days, when the weather is a bit nicer she can have a hurl on my motorbike.  Today wasn't exactly biking weather, making the trip over the Forth and Kingston Bridges a time to hold tight and pray for deliverance. 

You can tell how the rest of the service will run at a church by the quality of the welcome.  A quick test.  Your church has a rota for people who are allocated to be the welcomer at the door.  If these people were not there, would a visitor to your congregation be welcomed by anyone?  If your visitor is welcomed without the need for a welcomer, then you can truly call yourself welcoming.  Some congregations with welcomers are still not welcoming.  Some without welcomers are the most welcoming.  Langside, I am pleased to report had welcomers and was exceptionally welcoming.


The church is a pleasant community space, well laid out and accessible.  I managed to sit down in the sanctuary, and had obviously got there without casting my gaze above my eye level when I looked up and BANG! This hit me.  In a building with mostly plain white walls, this interpretation the Last Supper jumps out.  It's a striking piece of art that is challenging, but sits well within the space.  There's so much in it, I couldn't help but cast an occasional glance at it throughout the service.  The original was destroyed in the recent fire, so the artist, Stuart Duffin replaced it.   Click here for more information about the Last Supper II..

I'm hoping for another chance to visit Langside.  If only to have another look at what has become one of my favourite paintings. And on a day as foul as today, it's good to know that a strong congregation can weather the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment