Thursday 6 December 2012

Fifty Acts. 13. The Word on the Street.


Last year I went out with the Street Pastors. [Mrs Gerbil enters from the left: "No you didn't, it was May."]

Back in May I went out with the Street Pastors.  (May just seems like an awful long time ago.)  Well tonight I was at the commissioning service for a group of Street Pastors in the City Centre.  You can't just turn up and put on the blue coat, and while I'd by lying if I said I knew everything teir training entailed, I remember the request for volunteers going out some months ago, so they have certainly been busy.

The service was held in the Baptist church that I visited the other week, with representatives from many of the city churches in attendance.  It seemed that every other person was wearing blue clothing, so it would have been nice if more people turned out to swell the numbers.  The thing about Street Pastors is they work in partnership with the Police and the Council to make the towns they work in a more pleasant place.  The speakers (Pastors, Council and Police) gave a good account of how the town is better since the arrival of the Pastors, and how crime has reduced.  While there was a part of me thinking that drink fueled violence is reducing because nobody can afford a pint, I have seen first hand how situations have been defused by a quiet word from a Street Pastor.  And I've certainly seen evidence of long-term pastoral relationships building up with the public and the staff of venues.


"Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”

Sorry.  I can't write.  I've got an essay due on Mark 16:8 and I'm trying to argue that if one Jewish woman can testify of the death of a man then surely it must be OK for three to testify about a man's resurrection?  First century women's rights just isn't my strong point.  More coherent rambles will follow next week.

1 comment: