Thursday 26 July 2012

When is the Right Time (Part one)

 Over the past few weeks I've had a couple of encounters with people who, independent of each other, told me that they wanted to be a Minister. (And what follows is an amalgam of these people)

He was sure that God was calling him to the Ministry, and this was where he wanted to be. He was really confident in expressing his call, and I am really sure that God has big plans for him. But then he went on to tell me of all his other plans, and that Ministry was something that he wanted to do at some point in the future.

In the Deacon Blue song, “Dignity”, the singer tells of the local road sweeper, “Bogie” who has plans for the future. He has been saving his money to buy a boat, to be called “Dignity.” I’ve always thought of this as a bit of a sad song, as the desire to buy the boat came over as a pipe dream. Something to talk about down the pub, but not something he will ever attain. A wish unfulfilled.

When I was talking with him, I noted that any time he referred to the Ministry, it was always in the terms of wanting. He wanted to be a Minister. I said that I might want to be Clark Gable*, but until I took action, then it was going to remain a dream. Whatever we want to do, it is never going to happen until we set the plans in motion. Taking affirmative action, by setting yourself a goal that is specific, measurable, achievable, and bound by a set timescale is the way ahead. Saying you want to do something is too passive, and your goals will keep slipping by. If it’s what you really want, then the time to act is now. And as God is calling you to the Ministry, then God will give you all the strengths you need.

This morning I thought again about "Dignity" and dreams unfulfilled. Then it occurred to me. Thinking again about the language of the song, he doesn’t just want to buy a boat, “He’s goin’ to buy a dinghy, and call her “Dignity”  Going to. Positive, affirmative language. So maybe he’s sailing out there after all.

You know who you are. Do it, you’ll be awesome.


*Yes, I said Clark Gable. I don’t know where it came from, and “frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn!”  Given the choice I'd be Humphrey Bogart

5 comments:

  1. Good use of the song "Dignity". I love the song have done since I was 18. I've always felt it was hopeful and positive. On the occasions we've visited Arran, in one of the bays ( I think Lochranza) there is a small boat called "Dignity". I like to stand and look at it and think of all the possibilities that that one small boat might offer - the destinations to be set for, and dreamed about.
    I think you've summed up responding to call beautifully as well, for we can "want" all we like, but until we are prepared to set sail in the boat God pulls us towards, we will never know where God is leading.
    Setting sail in that boat isn't just in the search for the first call, but will happen each time we try to work out where we are supposed to be.
    So good post. Thanks for the clever use of my favourite band, and for summing up beautifully searching for a call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much. And I'm glad to hear that somewhere out there there's a "Bogie" that got his boat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know exactly who you are, but I was at the Gartmore Local Assessment Conference in June for OLM. I didn't get through sadly (or maybe not because I have a lot to think about now) bu I'm really pleased for you and have enjoyed reading your blog! All the very best with your training!

    I'm Cathy from Fife - I was in group 1 but reading your discussion topic I think you must have been in the other group! Great idea though, we have polling days in our church centre now and the cafe is open at the same time so people can stay around a while if they want. No post office yet though! - or bar......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bookworm, yes, I was in the other group (James). Stick in there, God has plans for us all. I'm currently at conference with 3 others from our conference. One from my group and another two ladies from yours.

    All the best,
    spotthegerbil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James, Hope it's all going good at the conference and if it's St Andrews then enjoy! I work there so know it well. Hope you all get a chance to look around the town a bit. I think having a blog is a great idea, I wrote my reflective journal in a book but I might try this form of journalling!




      Delete