Thursday 7 May 2015

Evangelical Universalism continued.

To expand on yesterdays post regarding universalism, and in response to JohnO's comment, I was asked to evaluate the argument in the book The Evangelical Universalist by Gregory MacDonald (or was that Robin Parry?) as part of a university assignment.

The book itself introduced me to a topic that I had never considered before, the idea that hell may actually be a redemptive place, and is not actually a final destination.  Not surprisingly, this school of thought is not accepted by many people from a more traditional, conservative background.  My studies were an introduction to the topic, so I know that I have only just scratched the surface of what it means to be a universalist.  That said, I didn't find the ideas proposed in the book to be too uncomfortable to live with and too heretical. 

I can see myself returning to the book to give it consideration at a later date, as I feel there is much to explore.

However, I was glad to see the back of the essay. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment