Friday 16 January 2015

In Tribute

Something I have managed to avoid in the course of my placements is funerals.  Or more to the point, people seem to stop dying when I'm around.  While this is good for the congregational roll, it's not that good for my training.  In fact, on my second placement, I'm sure I went on holiday and there were two funerals in my absence.  This is my fourth placing with a church, and I have only had involvement in two funerals. 

The other month a man in the parish died.  I went along with my supervisor to meet his family and had a pleasant chat about his life and times.  He had lived a full life, and was well known in the community.  While my supervisor talked, I took notes and afterwards tried to create a tribute.  While I wasn't going to be delivering the tribute, I wanted the practice under real conditions.

Well it sucked.  I wrote something that described his life, but it just didn't have a lot of feeling to it.  I got the important details right, like family names.  This was made all the more interesting by the fact that everyone in the family had James as their given name, so Jim, Jimmy etc.    I think my first problem was that I just didn't have time afterwards to write the tribute up immediately.  It was later in the evening that I had the time to sit and write.  The next time I will go straight home and write while things are fresh.  But it also demonstrated that I just haven't had the practice.

My plan for the next wee while is to just write tributes, whether or not the person is dead, just to get into the practice of writing a 400 word biography.  While I might base this on biographical interviews from Youtube, if we have a conversation and I'm taking notes under the table...

2 comments:

  1. I'd be interested ti read mine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not going to write one. I'm planning on giving the minister your blog and telling them to help themselves!

    ReplyDelete