Sunday 18 August 2013

Fifty Acts 50. At Last, The Methodists.

I've been trying to fit the Methodists into my schedule for a long time, but other congregations got in the way.  The Methodists have the honour of being the fiftieth act.

The reason I wanted to go to this congregation came from an event a few years ago.  I was delivering church flyers round a new housing estate,, and was getting a good response.  Lots of young families interested in the playgroup, toddlers groups and Scouts that were running in the church.  But when we got to one door, the owner was pretty grumpy.  He said...

"I tried Lane End church, and you weren't friendly.  Then I tried the Methodists, but they were too friendly.  Now we don't go at all!"

Well this got me interested and I had to do something.  Not about the unfriendliness of my own church, but instead, I wanted to find out how a church could be branded as too friendly.  So with that gauntlet laid down, I deided to visit the Methodists, albeit with about four years of procrastination. You shouldn't rush these things.

So the welcome was friendly.  Not over friendly, just friendly.  Perhaps they have mellowed...    We were certainly made to feel part of the congregation.  Typically, like so many of the preceding acts, the real minister was elsewhere, so it was a URC minister that lead worship.  Communion was celebrated, and we all gathered round the table, a nice gathering, but may draw attention to those who don't feel they can join in.  Everything seemed to be going well.

Except, it almost went wrong.  The minister had lost her car keys and she arrived very close to the start of the service, apologising to us for the delay. She was sharp, but not late.  And then someone came over to talk to the person behind me to ask if they could remember to pick up a bottle of Communion wine as they had run out.  Someone had been sent out to get a bottle of Ribena which was a blessing, as alcohol free Communion wine is howfing.Grape juice does not need sugar added to it, and yet the last time I had alcohol free wine, this is what it tasted like.

While the minister read from her Ipad, one of the readers used the bible on her phone.  I think I would advise against this, as it meant her reading was a little disjointed and didn't flow.  Although to her credit, at least she was taking an active part in the service, something many people do not feel confident in doing.

So in all, it was a nice congregation, a pleasant service, and a reasonably good cup of tea afterwards.

2 comments:

  1. It's always about the cuppa! So where do you go now? I'm in wind down mode (funeral tomorrow ) then two weeks hols. Already having separation anxiety from my faster congregation! But 3 days at spa then a week in Tunisia sun unlimited alcohol gorgeous daughter for company " normal novels! " will soften the blow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. enjoy the holidays and the "normal novels"

    The follow-up to the fifty acts starts in a week or so. Watch this space...

    ReplyDelete