Thursday 8 November 2012

Slog

I'm not doing that well with the academic study.  The marks are fine so far, but the actual study is an unpleasant slog, a chore and something I'm beginning to resent.

Last year I studied the early church and I got on reasonably well.  This year I am doing Mark's Gospel and Sacramental Theology, and despite picking subjects that I thought would be interesting, I'm just not enjoying it.  And I've got a few years of this to come.  Marvelous.  I was really looking forward to the study part, as I like a bit of history, so digging around in books should have came easy.  But this is just a battle.

In the past couple of weeks I have went from aiming for top marks to instead just planning on submitting any old tat of an essay just to pass. 

Distance learning is a very lonely place, as you don't have the fellowship of a group of students studying the same topic to bounce ideas off, outwith the confines of the fortnightly conference call.

Sorry.  I had to get that out in the open. 

4 comments:

  1. right, so... how can those of us who know you help? Happy to do the occasional semi-tutorial over a brew if that would help. This would involve me acting as a wall, your thoughts acting as a ball... and bouncing said thoughts around the wall. Stream of consciousness rambling burble is sometimes a very useful way of talking through something to arrive at eventual clarity... plus, it takes away the loneliness of the long-distance student. A focused hour per fortnight, perhaps? Gie's a text and we can see if that might help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the club :) I found in submitting any old tat i didnt do as bad as i would have thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. exatco: Glad to know it's an effective strategy!

    Nik, you are a star as ever. Will drop you an email, just as soon as I work out why I can't send email!

    ReplyDelete
  4. right-o - look forward to receiving it. Aaaaaand back to foxy Knoxy :)

    ReplyDelete