Saturday 12 March 2011

A new direction

Well this blog never really got off the ground. It has sat in blogger limbo for the past year or so for many reasons. The novelty probably wore off, and, to be frank, I couldn't be arsed. So rather than start a whole new blog for my new plans, I thought I'd blow the dust off this one.

Now I have the great honour of being the other half to Mrs Gerbil. Amongst her many other talents, she is an internationally read blogger (surprisingly popular on west coast USA), is a candidate in training for ministry within the Church of Scotland, and also makes exceedingly good cakes. So at some point in the next few years we are going to be leaving the Gerbil burrow and moving to pastures new. We'll be living in a manse somewhere (Bermuda perhaps?) and I'll have to learn exactly what the husband of a minister does to occupy his time. I'm not the type to bake cakes for coffee mornings, mainly because my cakes stink. (How about I do the Mrs Doyle, would you like a nice cup of tea?) Mrs Gerbil can drink enough tea to float the QE2, but after a while, I can see me getting the Father Jack response.

When she started the whole ministry process I promised to support her in whatever she wanted to do. I believe that she would be a great minister, as she genuinely cares about the people that she encounters, and she does preach a good service. One friend did comment that the service was good, as God got mentioned a few times - something he felt was lacking in his recent encounters with ministry. Whatever I do, I'm happy to follow along behind, as she is a much better person than I am.

But the thing is, if Mrs G is living in a manse, then I am living there also. And I'd feel a little guilty about living in God's other house if I didn't give something back as well.

The Church of Scotland is wanting to reduce the ministerial headcount over the next few years. Mrs Gerbil described it well in this post. We're in a position where ministers will probably have a charge that covers a number of parishes, with a varied team of assistant ministers, deacons, readers and elders all working together to deliver God's message. I'd like to think that amongst that mix there is a role for me. I really want to help. I want to use my talents, whatever they are, to support Mrs Gerbil in her ministry, and the wider community.

That's enough for now. Time for the prayerful reflection to begin.

Perfect timing. Dinner awaits!

2 comments: